Beekeepers Friend

Peaches' Beekeeping Blog

July 2, 2007

Procrastination

This doesn’t portray me in good light. I sometimes have good intentions, but some things just do not come together for me. For instance, I needed to relocate the swarm in my stacked supers before I left for Texas, but I also needed to move some bees from the 4H camp.

In order to make the move, I first had to pull six supers of honey, the seventh had brood in it and I needed to leave it with the hive. The reason it had brood was I didn’t have a queen excluder installed. Normally, the queen does not cross capped honey so she stays in the brood box to lay. That is why the queen excluder is used until the first honey super is capped. Then you can remove the excluder so the workers can carry nectar to the upper supers without having to crawl through the excluder.

I moved the two hives to an apiary about 40 miles away. Now I had 6 supers of honey that needed to be extracted. If not extracted within 48 to 72 hours, the Small Hive Beetles would take over and slime the honey. So now I began the extraction process. First I had to clean the extractor, set up the decapping box, and round up some five-gallon buckets. By this time, it’s too hot temperature-wise to extract in my honey house.

Four o’clock A.M. the next morning, I got up and checked the temperature in the honey house, and it was tolerable so I began my extraction. Using my wife’s dinner fork as a scratcher (I couldn’t find my store-bought scratcher), I proceeded to decap each frame of honey. I could place twenty frames of honey in my radial extractor, which means I have to extract three times. The whole process took me until 7 A.M. to finish extracting, clean-up, shut the lights off, and close the door. I ended up with 15 gallons of honey off of the six supers. As you know, honey weighs 12 pounds per gallon and that gave me 180 pounds.

Basically I could get started for Texas in a very timely manner; however, by the time I finished packing, taking my shower, loading the car, watering the tomatoes, waiting for the neighbor to mow my grass, and round up a few items that I had forgotten, it was now 11:30 A.M. My wife insisted that I take her to lunch before I left. By the time I got on the road, it was 12:45 P.M. So you see, the best of intentions don’t always go according to Hoyle.

2 Comment(s)

  1. dpeach | Jul 3, 2007 | Reply

    Good thing you got it done though. Now you can enjoy your trip without that hanging over you.

  2. ekpeach | Jul 4, 2007 | Reply

    It was a last minute thing, tho. I had to force myself to do it. I almost decided to put the supers out and let the bees have them. But you are right. I have the honey in buckets (potentual $$), the bees have the wet supers to clean, and I don’t have to worry about the wax moths and beetles now.

1 Trackback(s)

  1. Sep 4, 2007: Disappointment : Beekeepers Friend

Post a Comment